Prenatal service is that extra care given to you for a healthy and safe pregnancy. Most women will be apprehensive about their pregnancy and the anxiety will be even more in case of first pregnancy. Prenatal services include patient education, regular visits, planned nutrition & diet and much more. It also includes certain measures you need to practice to ensure better health and safe pregnancy. Listed below are some of the common measures and therefore the list is not complete.
- Maintain a healthy balanced diet and nutrition rich food that helps your baby’s development. Your doctor may suggest you or also involve a nutrition specialist to guide you about the nutritional supplements you need to take during pregnancy such as preparations containing calcium, iron, and folic acid.
- If you are taking medications, including over the counter medicines, for any of the disorders please discuss with your obstetrician because these medications may cause birth defects.
- Regular and optimal exercises may be beneficial however overdoing may pose certain complications. Walking and swimming are preferred physical activities however your obstetrician may suggest you the exercises appropriate for you.
- During pregnancy avoid smoking, taking habit-forming drugs such as heroin, cocaine, caffeine containing preparations and alcohol consumptions as they may cause miscarriage, premature birth, and you may deliver low birth weight infant.
- Avoid sitting in a sauna bath or hot tub as heat increases risk of miscarriages and birth defects.
- Sleep on your left side as it prevents the pressure on large blood vessels because of the weight of the baby.
- Use comfort clothing and avoid tight clothing to prevent varicose vein, swelling, and haemorrhoids in your legs. It also optimizes blood flow to the baby and to your placenta.
Talk to your obstetrician for more information on prenatal services, if you are planning for pregnancy or already a pregnant.